Tuesday 16 August 2011

Fellini

So the other book I ordered was this one: Federico Fellini; His Life and Work by Tullio Kezich


I love Fellini's work. They are either so fast paced, or relatively boring (and I don't mean boring in a negative sense - more slow and lack lustre e.g La Strada). His films are so unique and recognisable. It would be interesting to learn more about the subject matter. The how's the what's, they why's. I have so much to learn.



I first fell in love with Fellini when we went to see Fellini's Roma at the Phoenix in Leicester. I had already seen La Strada, and had started to watch La Dolce Vita. I never got into La Dolce Vita, possibly because it was Italian and subtitled and I decided to try and do some work while it was on, so little attention was paid to reading the screen. Instead what I heard was simply a foreign conversation which sounded argumentative


But yes back to Fellini's Roma. I don't know how to describe it in a complimentary way. Roma is essentially an autobiography. The following text is taken from the back of MGM DVD case.


This Lavish autobiography, full of lush fantasy sequences and monumental pageantry, begins with Fellini as a youngster living in the Italian countryside. In school he studies the eclectic but parochial history of ancient Rome and then is introduced as a young man to the real thing - arriving in the strange new city on the outbreak of World War II. Here, through a series of visually stunning vignettes brimming with satire and sparkling with life, the filmmaker comes to grips with a sprawling, boisterous, bursting-at-the-seams portrait of Rome, reinterpreting with his inimitable style an Italian history full of rich sensual imagery and extravagant perception.

This is one of my favourite scene's (one of he few I could find on Youtube with English subtitles)
http://youtu.be/CYzRL9YIswQ

No comments:

Post a Comment